Monday, March 19, 2007

Sunday night

So yesturday was just like every other sunday, Thats how it started out. Came home from church decided I was going to make chocolate chip cookies for C&C because we decided to live out loud and go hand out coffee to the homeless. Not a big deal right, they will gladly except because it was really windy and cold (because its saskatchewan). So I arrive early to help with making coffee and so there was John, Ashley, Lee and myself. My dorm and bible school would do this alot instead of coffee they would hand out sandwhiches. So I really didn't have any fear except the fact that if your white and walking around 20th and you cross paths with the wrong people they will beat you up for no reason. (its been known to all if you live in the city). So I was comfortable but alittle nervous. Met some people some told us there stories some just accepted the coffee and went on there way thankful for something to warm them. We also had toques and mitts. So seeing as there was 2 guys and 2 girls we split off. Ashley and John were a Team and Lee and I were a team.

Something was different that night, I felt uneasy the whole day like God was preparing me for something big. I haven't gotten this feeling in a while, I usually get it at camp when I'm counselling. So I was like alright whats going to happen, I prayed and kept on serving. Met a guy name Gustoff who just needed a break he was from Quebec, mean while this women walks by us, I knew that she wasn't alright. She just seemed scared and flustured. Later on I find out that Lee didn't notice her just me. So Gustoff got on his bus and we kept walking and talking about the guy we just met.

We turn around to go back because we hit a dead end, and out of this building the women comes out and walks our way. I offer her a cup of coffee, and instantly this women breaks down and cries, She composes herself and then asks do we know were the YWCA was. Lee wasn't of course familuar with the city yet. but me living her all my life new were it should be. She asks is it in walking distants I say no. I new that I should offer her a ride but is that were she really wants to go. So I prayed and quick prayer and we offered her a ride of course Lee comes to keep me safe my personal body guard. We drop her off and lee goes in to make sure that she is taken care of. But he can't go much farther because he is a male. So I go with her. This women is 30 years old and in one day lost every thing. Its taken me a while to process what happened last night but I know one thing that God is an awesome God. I don't want to use her name because I don't think that its relavent. I will never for get her. 6 months ago or so she had just gotten out of a 10 year abusive relationship, she is from a recerve up north past P.A. She has 5 children all in care because her home wasn't a safe enviroment. It was a wake up call to her. She has been trying to make a name for her self so that she can get her children back. Every word of her story breaks my heart.

She trusted in her friend that she met through one of her courses and her friend has a house out her and that she could stay with them. She woke up and they were gone her clothes and everything. GONE. No trace of it any were. She was a lone in a deserted house in a city she had no clue about. No food no warm clothes and the knowledge of Jesus. She was a born again believer. The land lord came and kicked her out. Were was she to go. She wondered the streets all day looking for the YWCA and prayed. Me and Lee helped her we were her answer. What if I decided not to go because I didn't believe that what we were doing wasn't going to matter to someone. Let me tell you something having that attitude is not a christian attitude. How can any one call themselves christians if all they do is go to church on sunday. What kind of mountains is there faith moving. We ignore them but we should be loving them. We should be filling there bellies and clothing them and giving them a place to sleep. This women trusted her friend and she had no idea what was going to happen. Why did he choose me. I don't know. I will never forget last night. How can I keep living the way I used to after an experience like that. What more can I do? I have prayed non stop for her. What if we weren't out? where would she be right know? would she have gotten help? This is a true story this is what happened to me and lee. What are you going to do?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's an awesome night. I feel quite the same... every monday night I step far out of my comfort zone and more into the realm of what we're called to do as Christians. I had many of the same thoughts that you shared when I started my job with the YWCA on Monday nights. Every week God shows me why He needs people who are actively living out thier faith. The bible says it best "Faith without deeds is dead".